Saturday, May 13, 2017

Pineapple Chicken


This is my most recent adventure cooking with a slow-cooker.  In the past, I didn't have access to a slow-cooker.  That changed a couple of years ago, and I have enjoyed cooking with this kitchen gadget.


A slow-cooker is also called a crock pot.  The Naxon Utilities Corporation of Chicago, Illinois developed the Naxon Beanery All-Purpose Cooker.  That is a great name.

The Rival Company bought Naxon and reintroduced the All-Purpose Cooker as the Crock-Pot in 1971.  The Crock-Pot name now belongs to Sunbeam Products.


Cuisinart, GE, Hamilton Beach, and KitchenAid, among others, also carry slow-cookers.


Some other slow-cooker recipes I have made are Tex-Mex chicken and beans, butter chicken, and hula chicken.  The hula chicken recipe has orange juice, tomato paste, brown sugar, Sriracha sauce, and soy sauce, among other ingredients.





This pineapple chicken recipe came from a website called Skinny Ms.  It must be a healthy recipe.  The added more chicken, red pepper flakes, carrots, snow peas, and baby corn.


The ingredients are 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs, 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 red bell pepper, 1/3 cup honey, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 cup carrots, 6 ounces snow peas, 1 15-ounce can baby corn.


To make this dish, I combined the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, and honey in a small bowl.





I added the chopped chicken and pineapple juice and soy sauce mixture into the slow-cooker.  I let this cook for about five hours on low heat.


After five hours, I added chopped carrots and red pepper flakes.  I let this cook for about 20 minutes.


I added the chopped red bell pepper, drained chestnuts, sugar snap peas, pineapple, and chopped and drained baby corn.




I let the chicken cook for another 20 to 30 minutes.


I served this dish over rice.


It was flavorful and delicious.  The flavors were tropical and sweet.


The soy sauce added some saltiness.  


 The chicken was very tender.  I probably could have cooked the chicken for less time.  It was succulent and soft.


It was packed full of yummy, bright, and tender vegetables.

It water chestnuts were still crisp, and the sugar snap peas had a welcome bite.


The pineapple softened and sweetened after being cooked.


 It was a savory and scrumptious dish.


 It was appetizing and satisfying.


No comments: