Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Slow Cooker Hula Chicken


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  It is my second favorite holiday of the year.  For the last seven years, I have not gone home for Thanksgiving because it is so close to Christmas. 


This year I am home for the entire Thanksgiving week.  It has been wonderful.  Yesterday I went with family to "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."  I enjoyed it.  I liked it more than the original Harry Potter movies.

The story line setting, costumes, and characters were all engaging and interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.



I made this chicken a couple of weeks ago.  I enjoy slow-cooker recipes.  They are so convenient, and meat in the slow cooker becomes so tender.


I searched for a slow cooker recipe with chicken and pineapple.  I found this slow cooker hula chicken at Betty Crocker's website.  I used orange juice instead of pineapple and tomato sauce instead of ketchup.  I also added cornstarch.


The ingredients are 10 fluid ounces or orange juice, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 8 ounces tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon grated ginger root, 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce, 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 16-ounce can crushed pineapple, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch.   


I added the orange juice, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and brown sugar into the slow cooker.




I added rice wine vinegar, minced garlic cloves, grated ginger root, Sriracha sauce, and diced pineapple.  I stirred the sauce and then added chicken.  I cooked the chicken on low heat for around seven hours.



After seven hours, I made a slurry with about four tablespoons of water and the cornstarch.  I added the slurry to the slow cooker.  I raised the heat up to high and let the chicken simmer for and hour uncovered.


I served the chicken over rice.


This made a scrumptious meal.  It was sweet, salty, and savory.


It was tropical and tangy.  The chicken was tender and flavorful.


It was appetizing and inviting.  It may not look like much, but it was delicious.


It had deep, developed flavor and took minimal effort.  It was a great recipe.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Chicken looks delish! And i SO agree about the movie! Awesome and WAY better than the HP movies :)

Eva said...

I still need to see Fantastic Beasts. So happy to hear it was better than the HP ones. Your hula chicken looks great!

laura said...

Thanks Karen and Eva! I hope you enjoy the movie Eva!