Sunday, August 14, 2016

Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl and Caramel


It has been very hot here recently.  It has been over 100 degrees yesterday and today.  I went on a run yesterday at 7:30pm.  I thought it would have cooled down a little by that time.  It may have cooled, but it was still blazing hot.


I had hoped to run a few miles, but I puttered back to my apartment only after twenty minutes.  Running in hot weather is unpleasant.

The good thing about hot weather is it is the perfect excuse to eat ice cream.  I never need an excuse, but ice cream is particularly satisfying in hot weather.



I made this ice cream a little over a week ago, and it is already gone.  This is a no churn recipe.  No churn ice cream is incredible.  It tastes exactly like ice cream.  It isn't as dense and rich as regular, high fat ice cream, but it is very delicious nonetheless.


I have made no churn ice cream in the past.  I have made chocolate peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter cups and coconut and almond chocolate ice cream.  The coconut and almond chocolate ice cream had a ribbon of ganache.  My prior attempts were tasty successes.


This recipe is based on a chocolate no church ice cream recipe from Food Network.  My favorite ice cream is Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.  That was my inspiration for this recipe.  I added marshmallow cream and Milk Dud's to the ice cream base.


The ingredients are 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup unseated cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pinch salt, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream, and 1 and 1/2 cups Milk Duds.


I whisked together the condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.






In another bowl, I whisked the cold heavy cream until stiff  peaks formed.


I folded a cup of the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed mixture.


I then combined the lightened sweetened condensed and cocoa mixture into the remaining whipped cream.


I stirred the ice cream base together until there were no white streaks.


I added scopes of the marshmallow cream into the ice cream base.  I stirred the ice cream base and marshmallow cream together until the base was streaked with marshmallow cream.


I stirred in the Milk Duds.


I scooped the ice cream  mixture into freezer safe tupperware. 


I let the ice cream cool in the freezer overnight to firm and set. 


This ice-cream was outstanding.  It chocolate flavor was rich and deep.


 The marshmallow cream was light and sweet.  It was still soft and sticky when cold from the freezer too.


The texture of this ice cream was incredible.  It was creamy, smooth, and cold.


The frozen Milk Duds were not amazing.  The caramel in the candy became too hard.  I broke them  up with my teeth.  I should play around and see what caramels stay soft when frozen.


 The caramel, marshmallow, and chocolate combination was scrumptious.  It was luscious, sweet, and decadent.   I wish I had a bowl right now.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Running in hot weather is horrible, but I'd make it through if I had this ice cream waiting for me! Not that I need any excuses to eat ice cream either. :)

Betsy Cohen said...

I love the flavor combination here and can't wait to see what caramel substitute you make for the Milk Duds.

Unknown said...

This yummy ice cream is the perfect treat to cool down with on a hot day!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen said...

Milk Dud and Marshmallows in chocolate ice cream?! Yum!!

Unknown said...

I love the hot weather, but yes, it is a lot to exercise in it. This ice cream will surely cool you off.

laura said...

Thanks ladies! Ice cream makes exercise more bearable, especially in hot weather! :)