Sunday, July 20, 2014

Coconut and Almond No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream


If you read food blogs as regularly as I do, you are aware of the no churn ice cream phenomenon.  I don't have a ice cream maker so I have wanted to try one of the no churn ice cream recipes out for a while.  



I had my doubts.  I was afraid that the ice cream would be dense and hard.  I thought the texture couldn't possible similar to a store bought ice cream.


I was pleasantly surprised.  This isn't going to be the last no churn ice cream I made this summer.  It's great to be able to make ice cream without having to purchase another kitchen gadget. 




I got the chocolate no church ice cream recipe from another blog called Eugenie Kitchen.  I added the chocolate ganache ripple, coconut, and almonds to make it a little more decadent.



The ingredients for this ice cream are 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 teaspoons milk, 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 6 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/4 cup almonds, and 1/4 cup shredded coconut.


I made the ganache first so that it had time to cool.  I heated the chocolate chips up in the microwave for about a minute.  I stirred the chocolate every 15 seconds.



Once the chips were starting to melt, I added the milk.  I stirred until the ganache was smooth and creamy.  I had to heat the ganache for another 15 to 20 seconds for all the chocolate lumps to melt.


I let the ganache cool while I prepared the ice cream base.  I added the sweetened condensed milk and coco powder to a bowl and stirred it until there were no clumps of cocoa.




In another bowl, I whisked the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks formed.  I did this manually, which took a few minutes.  



I added a whisk full of stiff cream to the sweetened condensed milk and cocoa mixture and stirred.  This loosened up the cocoa and sweetened and condensed milk.



I added the looser sweetened condensed milk mixture into the stiff whipping cream and carefully stirred it together.  I didn't want to deflate or overwork the cream.


I added the almonds and coconut flakes.


I stirred a little and then added the room temperature ganache.  


I stirred this lightly so that I could see the ripples of chocolate ganache in the ice cream.


I put the ice cream into a freezer safe bowl with a lid and let it set over night.


This ice cream is surprisingly good.  The texture is remarkable similar to store bought ice cream, just a little softer.


The chocolate flavor was rich.  The sweetness of the ice cream was spot on.  


 I was afraid I didn't add enough almonds and coconut flakes, but it was just right.  I would add more ganache.  I would a cup of chocolate chips to make the ganache.  The ganache ripple almost disappeared in the final product.


It wasn't as creamy and rich as a higher end ice cream, but I was satisfied.  It was fun and really easy to make.  I'm sure I'll be making no churn ice cream all summer long.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I have an ice cream maker so I've never gone the no churn route, but it does sound like so many people have success with it! Your ice cream looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

I haven't tried no churn ice cream because I'm too obsessed with my new ice cream maker! But you have convinced me to give it a go!

laura said...

Joanne and Lindsey, As a HUGE ice cream fan, I need to get a ice cream maker. It should be an essential kitchen gadget for me :)