Friday, June 1, 2018

Chocolate Cake with Blueberry Pie Filling


I got back on Monday from a vacation to Scotland.  I went with my family.  My parents, sister, an aunt, an uncle, and two cousins went.  



We traveled around in an eight passenger van.  We drove the van ourselves.  I even had the opportunity to drive.  It was a big van on small roads.  I think we did pretty well.


We saw multiple castles, visited two islands, a highland folk life museum, highland games, a battlefield, a manor, and an underground street.  We also saw a home that some of ancestors lived in for several generations.



I learned so much about Scottish history.  I bought a book so that I could learn even more.   We ate fish and chips; meat pies; venison; Victoria sponge, tablet, which is a candy; rocky road; Orkney ice-cream; and a bunch of candy bars they don't sell in America.  I came home with about eight of my favorite candy bars.



My sister did most of the job, and she did a phenomenal job.  It was an excellent trip.  I'm a little sad that it is over.  It just flew by.


I made this cake before I left for Scotland and brought it into work.  It was popular!  I found the chocolate cake recipe on Allrecipes.com.  It is entitled "Too Much Chocolate Cake."  I think it is a misnomer.  I added a can of blueberry pie filling.


The ingredients are a 21-ounce can of pie filling, 1 package devil's food cake mix, 1 5.9 box instant chocolate pudding, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup vegetable oil, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup warm water, and 2 cups chocolate chips.



I added the cake mix and instant pudding mix to a bowl.



I added the vegetable oil, sour cream, eggs, and water to the bowl.  I stirred up the cake batter until everything was mixed thoroughly.  



I mixed in the chocolate chips.


I greased and floured a bundt pan.  I placed half of the cake batter into the pan.


I made a divot in the batter around the circumference of the bundt pan.  I then put the blueberry pie filling inside the divot.  I then gently covered the blueberry pie filling with the remaining cake batter.


I baked the cake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes.


Once I removed it from the oven, I let the cake cool for a few minutes before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely.


This was a scrumptious cake.  It was decadent and rich.


It has a strong and rich chocolate flavor.  


 The texture of the cake was moist, tender, and soft.


I have made this cake recipe before, and it always turns out very well.


The pie filling added additional flavor.  Chocolate and blueberries go well together.  The blueberries added a ripple of jammy sweetness.   This was a excellent cake.  I would give it two thumbs up!


1 comment:

Sloan66 said...

Mine is in the oven right now and smells DELICIOUS!