Thursday, December 12, 2013

Peanut Butter Bars


When my oldest brother got married, it was a joyous occasion because my sister in-law is pretty cool. We didn’t know then that not only would we get to associate with a cool lady, but we would also be exposed to a peanut butter bar that would literally blow our minds. That is a slight exaggeration, but these are magnificent cookies. I come from a family of cookie connoisseurs, and yet this cookie has left an indelible impression in our lives.


Apparently this recipe came from my sister in-law’s Aunt Sue. I have never met her Aunt Sue, but I’m sure she is a wonderful, warm, and splendid human being; I know for a fact that she has mad cookie skills.




The ingredients are 1 ½ cups butter, 1 ½ cups white sugar, 1 ½ cups brown sugar, 1 ½ cups peanut butter, 3 eggs, 3 cups flour, 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 cups rolled oats, 1 bag chocolate chip cookies, 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 to 3 tablespoons milk. As you can tell, this is a health food.

They began as cookies begin: I creamed the butter and sugars together.

I added the peanut butter and stirred.

I added the eggs and the vanilla.

I added the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Once that was combined, I added the oatmeal.

I spread it out on a jellyroll pan or a cookie pan with sides. I have no idea what the dimensions are. I baked it for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

After 15 minutes it should be a little brown. If not, let it bake a little bit more.

I immediately sprinkle the entire bag of chocolate chips on top of the cookie base. I made sure each chip was in contact with the warm cookies because I want to ensure the chips melted.

Once the chips were glossy and melted, I spread the chocolate in a thin layer that covered the entire peanut butter cookie base.

I then let this cool completely. Or rather, I should have let it cool completely. If you don’t want the icing and chocolate to mix, let it cool completely. I thought the chocolate was cool enough, but it wasn’t

For the icing I combined the powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter and teaspoon of vanilla in a small bowl. I added a small drizzle of milk and stirred. I continued to stir and add milk until the icing was smooth and the appropriate viscosity. I like to use technical terminology in my cooking because it makes me feel like a scientist.

I spread the icing in a thin layer over the chocolate.


You could end up with two crisp layers or one marbled peanut butter chocolate layer. I had the latter.


 These are one of my favorite cookies of all times.  My family has been making them since my sister in-law shared the recipe.  If you make them, you won’t regret it.  Food blog posts are like used car salesman; everything is overly praised.  Put your skepticism aside, trust me, and make these cookies.



I remember making these at my sister's house when I was in college.  Good cookies.  Good memories.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura these bars look so yummy! I just want to dive right into the screen and take a bite!

Cathleen said...

I love the peanut butter and chocolate combo. This looks great!

laura said...

Thanks Ladies!! I really like these cookies!

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

These seriously look so scrumptious! I have a slight peanut butter addiction and I'm sure these would help me with that :) Amazing!

laura said...

Thanks Trish! I think I have a peanut butter addition too!