Monday, November 9, 2015

Chicken Stew


This is the second recipe I have posted that uses a slow-cooker.  Slow-cookers are a clever invention.  I should use them more frequently.  


The slow-cooker was developed by the Naxon Utilities Corporation of Chicago.  The product was called the Naxon Beanery All-Purpose Cooker.

The Rival Company bought out the Naxon Utilities Corporation in 1970 and renamed the Beanery All-Purpose Cooker as Crock-Pot.  I kind of prefer the Beanery All-Purpose Cooker.  The older name has more character.  The Crock-Pot brand now belongs to Sunbeam Products.  Fascinating!


I've seen several dessert recipes that are made in a slow-cooker.  There is a chocolate mud cake recipe floating around that looks amazing.  One of these days I'll make it happen.



This recipe originally came from Kraft.  I added curry powder and garlic.  I also misread the directions and used two pounds of carrots instead of two cups.



The ingredients are 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1/4 cup flour, 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, 2 pounds baby carrots, 1 small onion, 3 cups chicken broth, 1 cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup cream cheese, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 garlic clove, and salt.


I chopped the chicken thighs into one inch square chunks.  I added the chicken and flour in the slow-cooker and stirred until the chicken was evenly coated in flour.



I added the chopped onion, minced garlic, baby carrots,  mushrooms, curry powder, salt, and chicken broth.



I stirred the ingredients and then put the lid on the slow cook.  I turned it on high and let it cook for four hours.


After four hours, I added the peas and cream cheese.  I let the stew cook for another 30 minutes.


This was a hearty, warming stew.  It was perfect for a cool fall day.  It's kind of chilly today, and I wish I had a pipping hot bowl of this stew right now.


The onion, garlic, and curry powder gave the stew an aromatic and savory flavor.  The sauce was creamy and flavorful.


The chicken was tender.  It was a satisfying and filling stew.  I'd made it again.

No comments: