Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Slow Cooker BBQ Beef


I made these barbecue beef a couple of weeks ago.  It is a whole 30 recipe.  It is the first whole 30 recipe I have ever made.  I'm not entirely sure what that name even means.



I believe whole 30 does not have any carbs or sugar but that could be another diet.  Maybe it is just an older diet with a new name.

I would have a hard time giving up carbohydrates and sugar.  Those are my two favorite food groups. I don't believe I overeat carbohydrates, but I definitely eat too much sugar.  Despite conforming to a diet, this was a delicious dish.  It was hearty and flavorful.


I found the barbecue beef recipe on a blog called The Real Food Dietitians.  The recipe included a cole slaw recipe, which I also made.  I made the recipe as directed.


The ingredients for the beef are 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, 1 large onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 6-ounce can tomato paste, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.


The ingredients for the cole slaw are 1 9-ounce bag cole slaw mix, 1/3 cup mayo, 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper.


I sliced the onion and put it in the bottom of the slow-cooker.




I chopped the beef into chunks and browned it in olive oil over medium-high heat.  I then placed the browned beef into the slow-cooker.


I added the tomato paste, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, and chili powder into the slow-cooker.



I added the salt, mustard, apple cider vinegar, water, and pepper.  I stirred all the ingredients together well and let it cook on low for eight hours.



While the meat cooked I mixed together the cole slaw mix, mayo, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.



I mixed the cole slaw together until everything was incorporated.  


I shredded the beef with two forks after eight hours of cooking.


I ate the barbecue beef and the cole slaw together.


 It was very scrumptious and succulent.  The meat was tender and juicy.


The meat was savory and a little acidic.  It has caramelized sweet undertones as well.


The meat was hearty, but the refreshing cole slaw lightened up the dish.


It was very flavorful and delicious.  The flavors were well balanced.


No comments: