Saturday, June 27, 2015

Sausage, Caramelized Onion, and Cheddar Frittata


I went to the wonderful state of Texas this week.  My one regret is that I didn't eat any Mexican food.  It's a bit of a tragedy really.


Northern Virginia isn't known for it's Mexican food.  It's been a while since I have eaten quality Mexican food.  

I went with coworkers, and one of them is lactose intolerant.  Mexican food can be dairy rich.


We went to help with the Veteran Wheelchair Games.  We volunteered last year and enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to go again.  



I helped with ping pong and slalom.  For ping pong, I ran around picking up errand ping pong balls.  Slalom is an intense obstacle course the contestants complete in their wheelchairs.  They had to go through a pit full of rocks and down a few stairs.  I was impressive.



The base frittata recipe came from food.com.  I added caramelized onion and mustard.  I swapped the bacon for chicken sausage and used less cheese.  It was really cheesy, so I don't think the full eight ounces is necessary.


The ingredients are 6 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 caramelized onion, 7 ounces chicken sausage, 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, and 1 tablespoon dijon mustard.


I added the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and dijon mustard to a bowl.



I whisked those ingredients and added 4 ounces of grated cheddar.  I also added the chopped, cooked sausage and caramelized onion.



I stirred everything together and poured the mixture into a greased pie pan.


I sprinkled the remaining two ounces of grated cheese on top of the frittata.


I baked the frittata for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  The frittata looked a little soft when I first took it out of the oven, but it continued to cook in the pan and solidified.


I let it cool a little before slicing it.


This was fantastic.  It was better than the asparagus and feta frittata I made earlier.


 It was savory and aromatic.


The cheese, sausage, caramelized onions, and dijon mustard had strong but balanced flavors.  


The eggs were tender, and the cheese was gooey.  It was a pleasurable egg dish that I highly recommend. 

No comments: