Sunday, September 23, 2018

Crustless Spinach Quiche


I don't make enough egg dishes.  Eggs are so versatile.  They are tasty and healthy too.  They are also pretty cheap for a protein.  


I made this dish a couple of weeks ago for a brunch.  I used my pie pan, which I seldom use.  I think that needs to change as well.  Especially since my parents gave me a pie cookbook for my birthday several months ago, and I still haven't used it.

I have looked through the cookbook a few times though.  There are lots of delicious sounding pies.  The cookbook has a savory apple pie that I want to make.  It also has a recipe for a raspberry pie that I plan on making.  I once had a slice of raspberry pie, and it was one of the best pies I have ever eaten.

I didn't find this quiche recipe in a cookbook.  I found this spinach quiche recipe at allrecipes.com.  I find many of my recipes at that website.  I added an extra egg, but otherwise I made the quiche as directed.


The ingredients are 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 onion, 1 10 ounce package of defrosted spinach, 6 eggs, 3 cups munster cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.  I added an extra egg because the mixture seemed dry.



I added the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  I chopped up the onions and cooked them, stirring occasionally, until the onions were soft.  I squished out as much water from the defrosted spinach as I could and then added the spinach to the skillet.  I continued to stir the mixture until most of the spinach's moisture had evaporated.  





In a bowl, I combined the cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.  The recipe only calls for five eggs, but I added another because the mixture seemed too dry.



I then mixed in the slightly cooled spinach mixture into the eggs.


I poured the spinach and egg mixture into a greased pie pan.  I smoothed the mixture evenly in the pie pan.


I baked the quiche for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let it cool for ten minutes before serving.  I also ate this quiche at room temperature, and it was tasty both ways.


This was a flavorful dish.  It was filling.  It was full of gooey cheese.


It had a soft, delicate texture.  The onions and spinach gave the dish a tasty, savory flavor.


This was a good recipe.  The flavors and textures were pleasing.  


 I would make this recipe again.  I think it would be good with mushrooms too or other ingredients.  I think you could really experiment with this recipe.

No comments: