Sunday, June 12, 2016

Chocolate Cookies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups


Yesterday I went to a strawberry festival in Maryland with a few friends.  It was a small town affair.  There was a tractor pull and booths full of homemade knickknacks.  These even a booth for a local midwife.  


I ate some delicious strawberry shortcake topped with strawberry ice-cream.  My friends were a little resistant to waiting in line, but my force of will may have overpowered everyone else's wishes.  I really wanted some strawberry shortcake.

We stopped at another city called Fredrick, MD on the way back.  It is an adorable town.  We visited a soda store that sells all kinds of flavors and brands of soda pop.  I bought a mundane blackberry soda, but they also had peanut butter, cookie dough, and sweet corn.


We also went to a candy store that sells historically significant candies.  The candies and history are from an American perspective.  They arranged the candy by era.  They starting with treats that Native Americans ate and stopped at the 1970 and1980s.  They had signs and labels telling the significance of all the candies.


I like cookies.  I especially like chocolate cookies.  I have a few chocolate cookie recipes on my blog, including chocolate blueberry chocolate chip cookies, coconut chocolate cookies with Reese's pieces, chocolate cookies with mini Cadbury Eggs, totally chocolate chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate mint cookies.  It is impossible for me to chose a favorite.  These were all scrumptious.


The base chocolate cookie recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I replaced the chocolate chips with mini peanut butter cups.  I also only made half a batch.  


The ingredients are 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup mini peanut butter cups.



I beat the softened butter and sugar together.

 


I beat in the egg and then the vanilla.


I added the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt.
 


I mixed the mini peanut butter cups in by hand so they wouldn't get mashed.


I refrigerated my dough over night, but that is not necessary.  I scooped about two tablespoons of dough in mounds two inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.



I baked the cookies for nine minutes at 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool a few minutes on the pan before placing them on a wire rack to cool completley.


These were outstanding cookies.


 The chocolate flavor is deep and rich.  The texture is dense, soft, and chewy


The peanut butter cups were melted and gooey.  



 Overall, they were toothsome, decadent, and rich.


I only wanted to eat few to be healthy, but I polished off several off these delectable cookies.


They were fantastic.  I wish I had one to eat right now.

No comments: