Friday, August 29, 2014

Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


I am at home over the Labor Day weekend visiting family.  It has been very enjoyable and relaxing.  Utah seems so wide and open compared to DC.  



I made these cookies a couple of weeks ago and brought them to a house warming party.  When I was in college, I lived in the same town as my sister.  I would usually go to her home Sunday evenings for dinner.  We would often make cookies as well; I first tried this recipe at my sister's home.



The recipe is from a Nigella Lawson cookbook entitled Nigella Express.  If you like chocolate half as much as I do, these cookies will be one of your favorites.


The ingredients are 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup un-sweeted cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup soft butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cold egg, and 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips.  


I measured the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.




I whisked these ingredients together well.  I made sure there were no clumps of cocoa powder.


I melted the semisweet chocolate in the microwave.  I stirred it every twenty minutes.


I creamed the butter and sugars together in another bowl.



I added the cooled melted chocolate and stirred it together.  I wanted to put my finger under the ribbon of melted chocolate, but I resisted the urge.  


I mixed in the vanilla extract and the cold egg.  It is rare when a recipe directs you to use a cold egg.


I combined the liquid and dry ingredients.  It is a pretty thick batter.


I added the chocolate chips.


I scooped the gobs of the batter into a sheet pan, leaving room for the cookies to spread.  The oven was preheated to 325 degrees.  


I baked the cookies for 12 minutes, and they were perfectly cooked.  Nigella makes larger cookies and bakes them for 18 minutes.  


These are exceptional cookies.  The chocolate flavor is rich and decadent.  These will definitely met any chocolate craving you'll encounter.  


These cookies are luscious, tempting, and comforting.  They are one of my favorite cookie recipes.  I have made them many times, and they have always turned out well.


No comments: