Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chocolate Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I was growing up, we made cookies most Sundays.  It was a wonderful, though slightly unhealthy, tradition.  Of course I enjoy cookies, but I feel that a dessert isn't reaching its full potential unless it is chocolate.  A coworker told me he uses dried cranberries instead of raisins in his oatmeal cookies, which is very sage.  These two ideas provided the inspiration for these cookies, which are heavily based on a recipe I found on the internet.

I maked these cookies for family, so only the best ingredients would do.  I used 1 cup of butter, 1.5 cups of sugar, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 2 cups of flour, 2/3 cup of cocoa powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 cups chocolate chips, and 1 cup of dried blueberries.

I did not have white flour or coco powder earlier this week, so I went to Capitol Supermarket on 11th street.  It was my first time, but it definitely won't be the last.  It is apparently owned by a Korean family, but they carry a good amount of Latin food items as well.  It has so much more character than the local Whole Foods.


This is the sugar and room temperature butter.  I would like to say I creamed the butter and sugar, but I doubt it as I was stirring by hand.



I then added the eggs and vanilla.  I am currently in a phase where I only buy cage free eggs.  I like to think my eggs come from happy hens.


Eggs don't like butter.  It took a little work to amalgamate the mixture.


Here are the dry ingredients.  I put the salt and baking soda on the cocoa so you could see them more clearly.


I added almost an entire bag of chocolate chips.  Cookie baking requires lots of tasting.


You can't really see the blueberries, but they are in there.  


I like the texture of the cookie surface.  More importantly, they are delectable.  I am a firm believer in not over baking cookies.  Crunchy cookies are such a disappointment.  I cooked these little gems for 8 minutes and not a second more at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Fahrenheit is the official measure of temperature in only the United States, Cayman Islands, Palau, Bahamas, and Belize. 


No comments: