Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Gingerbread Waffles with Cranberries and Toffee Bits


Another Christmas has come and gone.  How quickly this year has gone by!  I had a wonderful Christmas, and it isn't over yet.  My family is having one more Christmas party this Thursday.


We are having a French Canadian Christmas celebration.  We will be eating poutine, sugar pie, and meat pie.  The sugar pie is really just a custard inside of a pie shell.  I was worried it was going to be a sugar overload, but it sounds tasty.



We are also going to make taffy.  I have never made taffy before, so that should be interesting.  It sounds like an activity kids should like, but given the level of effort involved, I expect most of the work will be done by adults.



I made these waffles a little over a week ago.  I am in a gingerbread state of mind.  I recently made gingerbread pancakes with toffee and chocolate chips.  





I found the gingerbread waffle recipe on another blog called Simply Recipes.  I added dried cranberries and toffee bits.  The Toffee did not remain crunchy in the waffles, but the dried cranberries were a nice touch.


The ingredients are 1 1/3 cups milk, 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup toffee bits.



I combined the milk, melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, and egg.  I whisked these ingredients together.




In another bowl, I combined the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, and salt.  I whisked the dry ingredients together.




I poured the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stirred the batter together.


I stirred in the chopped dried cranberries and toffee bits.


I sprayed a hot waffle iron with cooking spray and then scooped in about a fourth of a cup of batter into each waffle square.  I closed the waffle maker and let it cook until the waffles were fully cooked.


These were delicious waffles.  They had a nice gingerbread flavor.  They were sweet and full of aromatic and appealing spices.


 The texture was crisp on the edges but tender inside.


I ate them with applesauce.  A few times, I topped them with fresh strawberries.


The waffles were fragrant and inviting.


The cranberries were sweet and chewy.


 They were festive and scrumptious waffles.


No comments: