Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Sour-Cream Pancakes with Chocolate Chips


I'm back in the pancake game with a vengeance.  There seems to be no end to the possible pancake variations.  I have posted apple, pecan, and raisin pancakes, chocolate blueberry pancakes, dried cherry and almond chocolate pancakes, coconut banana pancakes, and pumpkin pancakes with chocolate chip cookies.


Most of the pancake recipes I have posted were been fantastic with two exceptions.  The sweet potato pancakes and cake batter pancakes left lots to be desired.  They both had eggy and dense textures.  I made both as directed so I'm faulting the recipes.

I had left over sour-cream from the cranberry upside-down cake I posted earlier.  I clearly have a soft spot for pancakes, and so I googled sour-cream pancakes.  This recipe from epicurious seems promising, so I gave it a try.  


Sour cream comes from fermenting regular cream with bacteria.  The fermenting process creates lactic acid.  This processes is called souring, and thus it is called sour cream.  It traditionally has about 20% buttercream.


Sour cream is different than Central America's crema.  Crema is less sour and higher in fat.


I made the recipe as directed other than adding mini chocolate chips.  The recipe included a syrup recipe, which I didn't make.  The ingredients for the pancakes are 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1 large egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.


I added the four, sugar, baking soda, and salt to a bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.




In another bowl, I added the melted butter, sour cream, milk, and egg.



I whisked the wet ingredients together.


I poured the wet ingredients to the flour mixture.  I added the mini chocolate chips and whisked the batter together.


I greased a skillet and placed it over medium -high heat.  I scooped around a fourth to a third of a cup of the batter into the warm pan.


I flipped the pancakes when the edges seemed a little dry and bubbles appeared near the center of the pancakes.  I cooked the other side of the pancakes for a few minutes.


I have started eating my pancakes with greek yogurt.  It adds a little sweetness and dairy and seems healthier the syrup or honey.


The pancakes were tender and moist.  The outside was golden brown.


The pancakes had a little tang from the sour cream but they weren't sour.  The taste was simple but delicious.


The chocolate chips melted and became gooey and creamy.  The chips provided little bursts of sweetness and cocoa.  The chocolate chips were a great addition.


I was pleased with these pancakes.  The texture was fantastic.  The taste was simple, homey, and satisfying.

3 comments:

Eva said...

These pancakes look so fluffy and amazing, Laura!

Unknown said...

I've been counting down the days to Fat Tuesday so I can go pancake crazy! These will be a great addition ;)

laura said...

Thanks Eva! Megan, can you believe I only learned about eating pancakes on fat Tuesday last year!? I have missed years of eating pancakes on Fat Tuesdays!