Monday, August 18, 2014

Pumpkin Pancakes with Chocolate Chips


There is a gym at my work that offers classes during lunch and in the evening. I went today and did something new. When it comes to exercise, new is good. I get burned out easily.


The instructor had a deck of cards, and he assigned an exercise for each suite. The exercises were pushups, these crunches where you had to grab your ankles, burbes, and squats.


He removed all the numbers below four. We choose a card and did the number and exercise indicated by the card. It sounds easy, but it was pretty rough going by the end of the deck.




I found myself counting cards to see how many kings, queens, and aces were left.



This recipe came from allrecipes. It’s the first pumpkin pancake recipe that showed up in my google search. It was a great recipe.


I replaced the allspice with nutmeg and added chocolate chips.


The ingredients are 1 ½ cups milk, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 tablespoon vinegar, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, and ½ cup chocolate chips.


I added the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar into a bowl. I stirred it together.




In another bowl, I added the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. I whisked the dry ingredients together.





I poured the liquid ingredients into the dry and stirred.


Before it was fully incorporated, I added the chocolate chips.

I stirred a little bit more until there were no lumps of flour.


I oiled a hot pan and poured in a scoop of batter. After a few minutes, bubbled started to form in the pancake, and I flipped the pancake and cooked it on the other side.


I let the pancakes I didn’t eat immediately cool on a rack and stored them in the fridge. They make a great breakfast because they can quickly be warmed in a microwave.

This is a great pancake recipe. The spices and pumpkin flavor stand out.


It’s a perfect fall breakfast. They’re homey and fragrant.


 The texture is fluffy and light.

 

I ate mine with applesauce, but nuts and maple syrup would be an even better topping.


2 comments:

Joanne said...

That sounds like a fun workout and definitely a great way to shake things up!

I am so ready for pumpkin pancake season. Yum to these!

laura said...

Thanks Joanne!