Sunday, November 26, 2017

Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Pancakes with Cinnamon and Sugar Pop-Tarts


I just got back from spending a little over a week in Spain.  I am exhausted and am going to bed probably within an hour even though it is only eight.


Spain was wonderful.   I think it is one of my favorite countries.  We visited Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba, and Sevilla.  I had such a good time that I think I'll go back and visit other cities.

I have waited to visit Spain for a few years, so I'm grateful I finally got to go.  Each city had its own distinct feel.  I don't think I could choose a favorite.  



Madrid seemed very active and had a bustling night life, Barcelona had unique and fun architecture, and southern Spain had a beautiful Moorish influence.  


The food was delicious too.  I ate hot chocolate and churros most days.  I also ate a few chocolate covered pastries as well.  I am going to try and recreate some of the dishes I ate in the near future.


I made these sugar packed pancakes a couple of weeks before going to Spain.  I found the base brown sugar  pancake recipe on a blog called Cookies and Cups.  I added some brown sugar and brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts to the pancake batter.



The ingredients are 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 1/2 cups milk, 5 tablespoons butter, and 4 brown sugar and cinnamon Pop-Tarts. 



I added the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon into a bowl.  I whisked the dry ingredients together. 






I added the milk, vanilla, eggs, and melted butter.  I whisked the batter together.



I mixed in the chopped Pop-Tarts.  This was a thick batter.


I added about a third of a cup of batter into a greased and hot skillet over medium-high heat.  I flipped the pancake once on side was browned and cooked the other side for a few minutes.


These were hearty and fluffy pancakes.


The batter itself wasn't too sweet.  It had a nice, warm cinnamon flavor.


The Pop-Tarts added bits of additional brown sugar flavor and sweetness throughout the pancakes.  The pastry didn't add much to the batter.  


These were good.  The pancake recipe makes good quality pancakes.  I'm not sure I'm sold on adding Pop-Tarts to pancakes.  It seems a little gratuitous.  


I enjoyed the addition brown sugar flavor the Pop-Tarts provided, but I think cinnamon chips would have been a tastier addition.


The Pop-Tarts also made forming the pancakes a little precarious because they didn't always lay flatly in the batter.


The cinnamon was a great addition and added to the overall flavor.  These were tasty pancakes, and I enjoyed eating them.

No comments: