Sunday, October 29, 2017

Roasted Parmesan Herb Butternut Squash


This is a Fall appropriate side dish.  Butternut squash are one of my favorite vegetables.  I like there soft and creamy texture.


My grandmother would often serve baked butternut squash with caramelized brown sugar on top.  I haven't eaten butternut squash that way for many years, probably since I ate it with her.  I am becoming nostalgic just thinking about it.

Pealing and cubing an uncooked butternut squash is a labor of love.  It's so unmanageable and hard, I'm always afraid I'm going to cut of a finger.  



My commitment to making this recipe was so deep that I risked limbs to make it.  




The original recipe actually uses sweet potato, but I decided to switch it up with butternut squash.  The recipe came from a blog called Pumpkin 'n Spice.  I also used more parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.  I didn't have garlic powder, so I omitted it.


The ingredients are 1 large butternut squash, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, and 2 teaspoons salt.


I pealed and cubed the butternut squash.  I placed the squash on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  I drizzled the squash with extra virgin olive oil



I sprinkled on the Italian seasoning, grated parmesan cheese, and salt.  I stirred the squash around to evenly coat it with the cheese, oil, and spices.  I made sure the squash was in an even layer before popping it in the oven.  I baked the squash for 35 minutes at 400 degrees.  I stirred the squash part way through the baking period.



I served each portion with addition grated parmesan cheese.


This was scrumptious.  


The tender of the squash was tender, soft, and smooth.  The outsides had become caramelized and browned.  Both textures were delightful.


The salty and Italian spice adding mouthwatering flavor to the dish.  It was aromatic and herby.  


The parmesan added saltiness and additional flavor.  It became melty on the hot squash.


Except for grating and cubing the squash, this was an easy dish to make.  Despite being easy, it was a pleasurable dish.


The squash was sweet and creamy.  The parmesan cheese and spice blend complemented the squash well.


This is a great Fall side dish.  I have actually made it again since taking these pictures.


It is nourishing, hearty, healthy, and toothsome; a winning combination.

No comments: