Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Brussels Spouts, Butternut Squash, and Caramlized Onion Salad with Dried Cherries and Walnuts


I started working from home one day a week.  I did it the first time this week.  It was nice.  I got to sleep in a little bit more because I didn't have to commute.  


I did some laundry and prepared my lunch in my own kitchen instead of carrying little Tupperware containers full of food to work to heat up in the microwave.

I don't want to work entirely from home.  Though I'm an introvert, I like interacting with human beings.  Working from home one or two days a weeks seems like it will be a good balance.


This scrumptious salad is colorful, nourishing, and delicious.  It's one of the best salads I've posted on my blog.  I came up with this combination, with the inspiration of other recipes, on my own.


The ingredients are 1 pound brussels sprouts, 1 small butternut squash, about 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, around 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 large onion, 1/2 cup dried cherries, and 1/2 cup walnuts.  It's a short but flavorful list of ingredients.



I chopped the butternut squash into small cubes.  I tossed the cubes with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a half a teaspoon of salt.  I baked the squash for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.




I rinsed and chopped the brussels spouts in half.  I tossed them with with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and half a teaspoon of salt.  I baked the sprouts for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


I caramelized the onions in one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat.  I added about a half a teaspoon of salt.  I stirred the onions regularly.  It took around 20 minutes.  I knew I was done when the onions were brown and soft.


I combined the butternut squash, brussels spouts, caramelized onion, dried cherries, and walnuts into a big bowl.  I stirred all the ingredients together.



This recipe was superb.  The squash was mellow and tender.  The brussels spouts were hearty and browned.


The onions were caramelized, sweet, and savory.  The nuts were crunchy.  The cherries were sweet and a little acid.


The combination of textures and flavors was very satisfying.  


In addition to being delicious, the salad was beautiful.  I'll definitely make this appetizing salad again.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The extra day at home makes such a big difference! Love everything in this fall salad! I wish I had this for dinner!

laura said...

Having an extra day is nice and relaxing :)