Monday, January 4, 2016

Nigella Lawson's Mac and Cheese


Most of the time I have been home visiting my parents, my brother, sister in-law, and their family has been visiting too.  It has been fun to see their children.  Some years I don't see them at all, and last year I was able to see them a few times.


Their children are not picky eats, but there are foods they like more than others.  They will eat chile and waffles, but they devour macaroni and cheese, lasagna, and Captain Crunch.  I have a soft spot in my heart for carbs and sugary cold cereals too.



This is the first time I have made this macaroni and cheese recipe, but my mother highly recommended it.  It is unlike another macaroni and cheese recipe I have made before.


The recipe came from a Nigella Lawson cookbook entitled Nigella Express.  I have made and posted a recipe for chocolate, chocolate chip cookies from this cookbook in the past.  It is an incredible decadent and rich cookie recipe.


The ingredients are 8 ounces macaroni, 2 cups cheddar or red Leicester cheese, 1 cup evaporated milk, 2 eggs, fresh nutmeg, salt, and pepper.  I doubled the recipe.


I boiled the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions.  I drained the water and poured the pasta back into the pot.


I poured the evaporated milk, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt, and fresh ground nutmeg.  I stirred all the ingredients together.



I poured the pasta mixture into a greased baking dish.  I baked the pasta for 10 to 15 minutes at 425 degrees.


The cheese melts and becomes gooey.  The sauce thickens.


I let the macaroni and cheese set for a few minutes before serving.  The sauce is rich, thick, decadent, and creamy.


The cheese becomes melted, gooey, and stringy.  


This recipe is comfort food at its best.  It's high in fat, cheese, and carbohydrates, the best types of ingredients.


This is easy to prepare, and the results are outstanding.  I will definitely make this recipe again.  It is one of my favorite macaroni and cheese recipes.


 It's quick and toothsome.  It's a great recipe that I'll use time and again.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks like the perfect mac and cheese! I LOVE Nigella but I actually don't have any of her cookbooks. Now I'm thinking I need to get my hands on that one!

Unknown said...

Mac & cheese is always a favorite around our house! Love how creamy and comforting this looks!

laura said...

Ashley, it's a great book! It has one of my favorite cookie recipes. Thanks Kelly! Mac and cheese is one of my favorite too!