Friday, May 26, 2017

Toasted Coconut Pancakes with Chocolate Chips


Don't these pancakes look incredible!  They tasted pretty great too.


Coconut is one of my favorite things.  It has such a wonderful flavor.  I was an adult before I tasted fresh coconut, but I think even dried coconut tastes great.


Coconut can refer to the whole palm, the seed, or the nut, which technically is not a nut.  It is a drupe.  The word comes from the Portuguese or Spanish word coco, which according to Wikipedia means scull or or head.



The palm tree can grow up to 98 feet tall.  They have a fibrous root system, which means it has thin roots close to the surface of the ground.  It is believed to have originated in the Indian-Indonesian region.



I have lots of coconut recipes.  I have made chocolate coconut pancakes with mini Cadbury eggs, Samoa brownies, caramel and coconut chocolate pancakes, and tropical fruit salad with coconut.




This coconut pancake recipe came from a blog called Two Peas and Their Pod.  I added chocolate chips and used coconut milk instead of coconut milk beverage.  This made it less healthy but more tasty.  I also used vegetable oil instead of coconut oil because I didn't have coconut oil


The ingredients are 1 cup shredded and sweetened coconut flakes, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups coconut milk, 2 large eggs, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup chocolate chips.



To make these pancakes, I toasted the coconut for five minutes at 325 degrees.  I stirred part way through the cooking time.


I added the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and toasted coconut into a big bowl.  I whisked everything together.







In another bowl, I whisked together the eggs, vanilla, oil, and coconut milk.





I poured the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stirred the batter together.


I mixed in the chocolate chips.



For each pancake, I scooped a third of a cup of batter onto a hot and greased skillet.  I flipped the pancake once the edges looked drier and bubbles had started to form in the center of the pancake.



I topped these pancakes with greek yogurt and blueberries.



These pancakes were fantastic.



They were light, fluffy, and delicious.


They had a nice, tropical coconut flavor.  The coconut flakes added sweetness and a delightful chewiness.


The chocolate chips were sweet, creamy, and smooth.



These were very satisfying and toothsome pancakes.  The are definitely worth making! Yum!




No comments: