Wednesday, December 3, 2014

German Chocolate Muffin


I have an insane and possibly impossible goal of losing weight over the holiday season.  Like most Americans, I usually gain weight over Christmas.


It would be more reasonable to try and maintain my weight this month, but there is a reason to my madness.  


I have a weight goal for my birthday in March.  It's going to be a stretch to reach it, but it's attainable.  If I let myself slide too much this month, I fear it will not happen.


So far I have been pretty good, but I haven't actually attended a Christmas party yet.  This weekend the season starts with a bang with a handful of holiday events.  I hope I stand firm, but only time will tell.


For these muffins, I made a few alterations to a chocolate muffin recipe from allrecipes.  I added pecans, coconut, and a few more chocolate chunks.  


The ingredients are 2 cups all-purpsose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup pecans, and 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes.


I added the flour, sugar, and 1 cup of the chocolate chunks into a big bowl.
 


To this bowl, I added the cocoa powder, baking soda, pecans, and coconut.  I whisked these ingredients together.



In another bowl, I combined the egg, yogurt, vegetable oil, and vanilla.  I should have also added the milk, but I forgot this ingredient until the end.


I poured the yogurt and milk mixture into the big bowl with all the dry ingredients.


I was halfway through stirring the muffins together when I realized it was too dry.   I forgot the milk.  Don't forget the milk.


I scooped the muffin batter into a muffin pan lined with paper liners.


I sprinkled the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chunks on top of the batter.


I baked these muffins for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.


 They were rich and decant, a big plus for breakfast food.  I liked the chewy coconut and crunchy pecans.


 Increasing the amount of chocolate chunks in the batter was a good idea too.  You can never have too much chocolate.


I have made several muffins for this blog, but these were some of my favorites.  The yogurt made them moist.  They were chocolatey and comforting.


6 comments:

Joanne said...

It's definitely a hard time of year to lose weight, but YOU CAN DO IT!!

Cakespy said...

I'm not a fan of diets but I am a fan of people doing what feels right for their bodies. So I support your weight loss mission!

These muffins are something that also receives my very high support. They look like chocolate heaven!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I love using yogurt in muffins. I haven't in awhile and need to do it again. Good luck with your weight loss goals!!

laura said...

Thanks ladies!

Jocelyn said...

Good luck in reaching your weight loss goal!! ;) These muffins look amazing, so moist and yummy!!

laura said...

Thanks Joceyln, probably making these muffins didn't help!