Monday, December 1, 2014

Roasted Asparagus and Brussels Sprouts in Orange Vinaigrette


Today I started listening to Christmas music.  It wasn't the first time this season, but it was the first time I listened for a solid hour.  


I needed Christmas music today.  Today was first time I went to work after a four day weekend.  It was rough.  If I had chocolate, I would have eaten it without restraint.


I was informed that I am going to have to redo a pretty big project.  I have been working on it forever.  I thought I was finished with it months ago.  New data became available a month ago, and I was asked up update it.  Today I learned I need to change my methodology.  I am beginning to fear it will never end.  

I went to the gym, and I realized after changing my cloths that I brought two left foot gym shoes.  I wasn't deterred and ended up only wearing socks on my feet during an exrcise class.


This was a delicious vegetable side dish.  It was bright and fresh.  The vinaigrette recipe came from allrecipe.  I used roasted brussels sprouts and asparagus because they're some of my favorite vegetables.


The ingredients are orange zest, 1 bunch asparagus, 1 pound brussels spouts, olive oil, salt, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons honey, 1/3 cup orange juice, pepper, and 1/4 cup raisins.


I washed and chopped the brussels spouts and asparagus.  I sprinkled them with olive oil and salt before baking them for 16 minutes at 400 degrees.


I removed the zest from the orange and set the zest aside.



I squeezed all the juice out of the orange and simmered it for about 2 minutes.  There was about 1/4 of a cup of juice left.


 I added the concentrated orange juice to the zest.


I added the apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, and pepper to the jar with the orange juice and zest.



I shook the vinaigrette together and poured it over the baked vegetables.  I stirred everything together.


I garnished the vegetables with raisins.


This was toothsome and aromatic.  The flavors were bright and citrusy.   It was a delicious vegetable dish either cold or warm.


The vinaigrette was sweet from the orange juice and honey.  The mustard provided a little kick, and the vinegar was a little sour.  


 The raisins complemented the flavors of the vinaigrette.  Slivered almonds would have been a delicious garnish as well.  This was a success in my book, another triumphant brussels sprout dish!

No comments: