Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Swig Sugar Cookies


I heard about these sugar cookies from my sister.  I spoke with her on the phone about a month ago, and she mentioned she was making these cookies.


Apparently there is a bakery in Saint George, Utah that is well known for there cookies.  This is an imitation of their recipe.  I have never been to the bakery, so I don't know if they are a good imitation.

This sugar cookie recipe came from a blog called The Recipe Critic.  I made it as directed.  I ended up adding more powdered sugar to the frosting to make the consistency a little thicker.  For some reason, I didn't take any pictures of making the cookie dough.  


The ingredients for the cookies are 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/4 cup sugar, another 1/4 cup sugar reserved, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 5 1/2 cups flour.



The ingredients for the frosting are 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup milk, food coloring, and 5 cups powdered sugar.  I probably used closer to 6 cups powdered sugar.


I mixed together the flour, salt, cream of tarter, and baking soda.  I set that aside.  I then creamed together the butter, vegetable oil, 1 1/4 cup of white sugar, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and water.  I creamed this until it was light and fluffy.  I then mixed in the two eggs one at a time.  I then gradually mixed in the flour mixture.



For each cookie, I scooped about a tablespoon and a half of dough onto a baking tray lined with a baking made.  I placed each cookie dough mound about two inches from one another.  I baked the cookies for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.



I dipped the bottom of a cup in the remaining white sugar and smashed the cookies a little flat.  I then baked the cookies for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the cookies cool completely.


For the frosting, I creamed together the butter, sour cream, and salt.  


I mixed in the powdered sugar and then the milk.  I also added the food coloring.  I chose a light blue.    I spread a heavy amount of frosting on each cookie.  I still had frosting left over too.


After frosting the cookies, I added a few colorful sprinkles on each cookie.


These were fun, festive little cookies.


The texture of the cookies were tender and soft.  


The frosting was sweet and tangy.  I should have added less milk because I ended up having to add more sugar.


 These were good.  They were butter and sweet.  They were also colorful and pretty.

No comments: