Sunday, April 29, 2018

Tunnel of Fudge Cake


Yesterday was a such a beautiful day.  It was warm and breezy.  I went with some friends to a botanical garden in a neighboring city.  It was a perfect day for such a trip.  



The orchids and azaleas were in bloom.  Orchids are my favorite flower.  The roses bushes were still naked.  I think they must bloom later on in the season.

They also had a butterfly house.  There were so many brightly colored butterflies.   We can to zip our bags so we didn't unintentionally take one home with us.  It is nice to get away from the city that I live in.  I enjoy taking a break and seeing something new.


I made this bundt cake for my birthday along with the sugar cookies I posted about earlier this week.  I was afraid I wouldn't have enough food, but ended up having way too much food.


The fudge cake recipe came from a cookbook of cakes entitled American Cake.  I got it for Christmas two years ago from my parents.  It is a fun book that explains the history of each cake recipe.  The first recipe I made from the book was a cherry upside down cake.  I made it with my mom during the Christmas break.  I made a hummingbird cake from this cookbook last year for my birthday.  I have also made a Bangor brownie recipe from this cookbook.  Everything I have tried has turned out very well.


The ingredients for this recipe are 2 cups chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 1/4 cups butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 large egg yolks, 4 large eggs, 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 3/4 cup unseated cocoa powder, and 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour.


I toasted the walnuts for a few minutes in the oven while the oven was preheating to 350 degrees.  It took about five minutes.  I covered the toasted walnuts with 2 tablespoons of melted butter once I removed the nuts from the oven.



I creamed the cool butter in a mixer for two minutes.  I added the white and brown sugar and creamed the sugar and butter mixture for another few minutes.  The butter mixture should still be cool.




I mixed in the vanilla, oil, and salt.


I mixed in the two egg yolks.


I whisked together the four whole eggs.  I added the eggs into the batter in three batches.  I mixed each batch into the batter until just combined.


I added the confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder into the batter until just combined.


I stirred in the flour and and toasted walnuts..


I greased and floured a bundt pan.  I added the batter and smoothed it out.


I baked the cake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  It still had a fudgy core.  I let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan.


After 15 minutes, I removed the bundt from the pan.


This may not look like much, but it was a delicious and decadent cake.


It was rich and chocolatey.  The texture was tender and moist on the outside.  The center was fudgy and dense.


The nuts added some texture and crunch.  It was sweet and delicious.


If you like rich, chewy, brownie-like desserts, this cake is perfect for you.  I will make this recipe again.  It was a wonderful cake.


No comments: