Friday, March 31, 2017

Swedish Meatballs (Svenska Kottbullar)


It rained and rained today.  I have an alternative work schedule that allows me to have every other Friday off, and today was my free day.


My feet became wet within thirty minutes of leaving the apartment, and they were wet for the following five hours. Yuck.  



I need some rain boots.  The problem is I never think about it until it is raining.  I put it out of my mind completely when the weather is dry.


I went to Ikea a few month ago and bought a jar on lingonberry jam.  I have been planning on making Swedish meatballs since then, I finally got to it last week.  I don't eat much Swedish food.  I'm pretty sure I have never eaten at a Swedish restaurant either.

Swedish cuisine from the north differs from Swedish cuisine in the south.  Swedish cuisine has many dairy products and cheeses.  They also have a wide variety of breads: rye, wheat, sourdough, dark, and wheat.  They have flat breads and crisp breads too.  


They eat fruit soups, which sounds fascinating and tasty.  Potatoes are a staple and are usually boiled. Wikipedia has a list of Swedish dishes, but they were not familiar.  It looks like I need to explore Swedish food.

I found this Swedish meatball recipe on allrecipes.com.  I used panic breadcrumbs instead of crumbled white bread.  I also used molasses instead of brown sugar.  I forgot to buy brown sugar.  I added worcestershire sauce and omitted ground ginger.  I changed a little of the cooking process as well.


The ingredients are 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon butter, 1 small onion, 3/4 pound ground beef, 1/3 pound ground pork, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon molasses, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 tablespoon butter, 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, 3 tablespoons flour, 4 ounces sour cream, and 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce.



I added the panko bread crumbs and cream into a bowl.  I let the crumbs absorb the cream for about ten minutes.  I could have used fewer bread crumbs of more cream. 




I melted a teaspoon of butter in a hot skillet and sautéed the diced onion until the onion was browned and softened.  I added a little salt to the onions while they were sautéing.  I never took a picture of the sautéing onions apparently.


I added the ground beef, ground pork, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, pepper, and salt to a large bowl.



I added the molasses, egg, soaked bread crumbs, and sautéed onions into the same bowl.  I mixed the meat mixture together thoroughly.  I ended up using my hands of this.



I added the tablespoon of butter into the skillet over medium high heat.


I used a tablespoon and a half of the meat for form meatballs.  I browned the outside of the meatballs in the butter for several minutes.  I had to reposition the meatballs occasionally to ensure even browning.  I placed the browned meatballs into a casserole dish.  I poured a fourth of the chicken broth into the pan and covered the pan with tinfoil.  I baked the meatballs for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.



I added flour to the skillet to make the gravy.  I cooked the flour in the pan dripping until the started to brown.


I gradually added the chicken brown into the flour.  I whisked the entire time I was making the gravy.


I added the Worcestershire sauce to the gravy.  I let the gravy cook until it had thickened.


I poured the thickened gravy over the meatballs.


I cooked the meatballs at 350 degrees and covered for another ten minutes.


I mixed the sour cream into the meatballs and gravy right before eating.


I ate the meatballs with eggs noodles and with lingonberry jam.


This was a scrumptious, savory, and utterly appealing dish.


It was rich and hearty.


The meatballs were tender and flavorful.  The outside was browned and had an appetizing crust.


 The gravy was meaty, creamy, and smooth.


The hearty and substantial meatballs paired well with this the brighter and slightly citric jam.


This was a pleasurable and tasty dish.


It was not a healthy dish by any stretch of the imagination, but it was satisfying and toothsome.


No comments: