Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken and Beans


I keep hoping that as I go to the gym regularly, exercise will feel easier and easier.  I went to the gym after work today, and I was worthless by the end of my class.



I am going to think I was so lethargic because I was hungry.  By the end of the class, I stopped performing the circuit well before the bell to rest.  Oh well, some days I just don't feel up to par.

It is starting to feel like spring around here.  It is like of funny that I'm posting this warm and hearty stew now that it is spring.


This Tex-Mex chicken and bean stew recipe comes from Martha Stewart.


I used more salsa, chiles in adobo, and chicken than directed.  I made no other omissions or additions.


The ingredients are 1 cup dried pinto beans, 16 ounces salsa, 4 tablespoons chiles in adobo, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, 1 red onion, 1 red bell pepper, salt, pepper and sour cream.



I rinsed the beans and added them to the slow-cooker.  I also added the salsa, all-purpose flour, and chilies in adobo sauce.





I stirred and added enough water to cover the mixture.


I chopped the chicken into cubes and seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper.


I layered the chicken over the bean mixture.


I covered the chicken with chopped onion and red pepper.  I turned the slow-cooker on low and let it cook for almost eight hours.


After eight hours, I dished up a serving and topped it with a dollop of sour cream.


The beans were soft and the chicken was tender.


This stew had a great flavor.  It was smokey and a little spicy.  The salsa added flavor and a little acidity.


This was a hearty and filling stew.  Despite being so nourishing, it was healthy too.  I didn't add any fat.


It was scrumptious and delicious.  I wouldn't change anything about it.  It was a definite success in my book.

No comments: