Saturday, July 12, 2014

Vegetable Garbanzo Wraps


As I get older, I care more and more about the food I put into my body.  I exercise more and am less likely to binge on a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  There were times in junior high school when I would eat a candy bar and soda for lunch.  It provided no nutritional benefit, and by the end of school I was ravenous.  


A work friend let me look through a health cookbook called Eat to Live Cookbook.  These wraps are one of the few recipes I copied down.  All the recipes were packed with vegetables and had no meat.


The recipe says it makes four wraps, but I ended up making 6 wraps with the amount of vegetable filling I had.  The directions also wanted me to cup of the lettuce and mix it in with the other vegetables.  I decided to keep the lettuce leaves whole.




The ingredients are 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, 1 large tomato, 1 cucumber, 1 avocado, 12 romaine lettuce leaves, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 6 whole-grain tortillas, salt, pepper, and tahini.


I mashed up the garbanzo beans.


I then added the chopped tomato, cucumber, and avocado.  



I added the vinegar and salt and stirred everything up.  I could have used a bigger bowl!


On each wrap, I spread a thin layer of tahini on the tortilla.


I added two lettuce leaves and piled on the vegetable filling.  I was a little to heavy on the filling because it was hard to roll the wrap up.


This made an excellent lunch.  It was light, healthy, and fresh.  I enjoyed the tahini and crunch of the lettuce.


 The avocado were a great addition as well.  I ended up adding a large amount of salt, which I'm sure reduces the overall healthiness of the dish.

No comments: