Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chocolate Chip, Cashew, and Coconut Muffins


Today at work I listened to "Stay With Me" ad nauseam.  Once I decide I like a song, I can listen to it on repeat for days.  After a week of endlessly listening to it, I can't listen to it again for months.  I don't care for the words or meaning of the song, but the tune is so catchy.  I can't get it out of my head.



I made another muffin recipe last week.  I can't seem to get enough muffins.  They are just so convenient.  I still have a few of these in the freezer when I need a fast breakfast.  


One of my favorite things about these muffins are the mound of chocolate chips in each one.  The recipe calls for an entire package of chocolate chips.  I often feel that baked goods do not have enough chocolate, but these muffins had enough.  That's rare praise indeed.



I have shared several great muffin recipes, and this one measures up to the rest.  The recipe came from food.com, but I added coconut flakes and cashews.  I used large dried flakes from Whole Foods.  I like the larger flakes because they don't get lost in the muffins.


The ingredients for these muffins are 1 cup coconut flakes, 1/2 cup chopped cashews, 2 cups all purpose flour, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup milk, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 package chocolate chips.


I began by combining the flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.




In another bowl, I combined the liquid ingredients.  The liquid ingredients are milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.



I made a well in the flour mixture and poured in the liquid stuff.  I stirred it together a little bit.


Before it was fully combined, I added the cashews, coconut, and chocolate chips.




I finished stirring all the ingredients together.  I have heard that you should under mix muffin batter.


I scooped the muffin batter into muffin liners.


I baked the muffins for about 18 minutes at 400 degrees.



 Nothing beats the smell of fresh baked goods, especially sweet baked goods!


These were great.  They were loaded the chocolate, crunch nuts, and chewy coconut flakes.  It was a great combination.  It makes a big batch of muffins; I made 10 large muffins.


The texture of the muffins was great.  Two thumbs up!

No comments: