Saturday, April 6, 2019

Cabbage, Sausage and Potato Soup


Yesterday after work I went to an art museum a few blocks away from my work.  The weird thing is I never knew that it even existed. 



It just proves that you have to live someplace for a long time before you know all the ins and outs of the place.  

I made this soup a few weeks ago.  I saw a coworker eating cabbage and sausage, and I wanted to eat my own.  I found this cabbage, sausage and potato soup recipe on a blog called Gimme Some Oven.  I omitted the celery and added an onion.


The ingredients are 1 pound kielbasa sausage, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 onion, 3 medium leaks, 2 medium carrots, 1 small green cabbage, 3 minced garlic cloves, 6 cups chicken stock, 1 pound red potatoes, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 2 bay leaves, salt, and pepper.


I cooked the sliced sausage for five to six minutes over medium high heat.  Once the sausage was browned, I removed it from the pot and set it aside.



I added the olive oil, diced onion, and sliced leaks.  I only used the light green and white part of the leaks.  I rinsed the sliced leaks well.  I added sliced carrots and minced garlic.



I sautéed this mixture for six to seven minutes over medium-high heat.  I stirred regularly. 


I then added the chopped cabbage.  I sautéed this for about four minutes.  


I added the chopped potatoes and sausage.


I added the Italian seasoning, bay leaves, chicken stock, salt, and pepper.  I stirred this and let it simmer for 15 minutes.


 This made a delicious and flavorful soup.


The sausage infuses the soup with a rich and hearty flavor.  The vegetables are tender and soft.


This soup is filling but still light.


It is a tasty yet simple recipe.  I would make it again.

No comments: