Monday, October 3, 2016

Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Chips


It's pumpkin season!  I currently own two jars of pumpkin butter and some pumpkin cereal from Trader Joe's.  I went to a party on Sunday where I ate pumpkin sandwich cookies.  I'm a sucker for seasonal products at the grocery store.


It's always good to have a few muffins stuck in your freezer.  They make a quick, last minute breakfast. I have a few muffin recipes on my blog. 



This pumpkin muffin recipe came from Food Network.  It seems to be a little healthier than your usual pumpkin muffin recipe.  It calls for whole grain pastry flour.  I used almond flour because I already had some on hand.  I also made it less healthy by adding chocolate chips and pecans.  I accidentally bought pumpkin pie puree instead of regular pumpkin puree.  



The ingredients I used are 1 cup all-purpose flour, almond flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 3 tablespoons unsoldered molasses, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1 cup canned pumpkin pie puree, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup pecans.


In a bowl, I whisked together the almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.





In another bowl, I whisked the sugar, molasses, oil, and one egg together.



I whisked in the remaining egg, pumpkin pie puree, and vanilla.



I stirred in half of the flour mixture and the mixed in half of the buttermilk.


I then mixed in the remaining flour mixture and then the remaining buttermilk.


I stirred in the chocolate chips and the pecans.


I filled a the paper muffin liners three fourths full of batter.


I baked the muffins for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.  I let them cool for about 15 minutes before digging in.


These were delicious muffins.  They had warm spices.  The were dense and moist.


The spices and pumpkin flavor were a perfect way to welcome in fall.


 The chocolate chips and pecans added texture and flavor.  They were scrumptious and toothsome.

No comments: