Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Cranberry and Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins


When I lived with my parents, I regularly watched PBS.  I have started getting in the habit again, and it's been delightful.


I'm currently binge watching American Experience and Antiques Roadshow.  I just finished an episode on Thomas Edison.  I didn't know he was instrumental in inventing motion pictures.  Before watching American Experience, I was just aware he invented electricity.


He also invented the phonograph and not Alexander Graham Bell.  It's astonishing how Edison has impacted our lives.


I like Antique Roadshow too, but I always fall asleep while watching it.  I only watch about 15 minutes before I start to doze.  


This oatmeal muffin recipe came from food.com.  I added cinnamon, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.  I'm glad I made these additions because they moved the muffins from bland to spectacular.  


The ingredients are 1 cup old fashioned oats, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup dried cranberries.


I began by soaking the oatmeal in buttermilk for 30 minutes.  The recipe says to soak the oats for an hour, but 30 minutes worked just fine. 



I added the sugar and egg to the mushy oats.  I stirred.


I stirred in a stick of melted butter.  This is the second stick of melted butter I donated to the muffin cause.  I spilled the first stick on the floor.  It's a true story.  What a mess!


I stirred in the flour, baking powder,  baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  The instructions said to sift the dry ingredients, but I'm a rebel.  After stirring, there were still streaks of flour.



I added the dried cranberries and chocolate chips: the best part!


I didn't use paper liners because I'm out.  I greased the tin well and added the batter until the cup was about three-fourth full.


I baked the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  I let the muffin cool a couple of minutes before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


These had a hearty, oat texture.  It wasn't fibrous or unpleasant but substantial.


The dried cherries were tart and chewy.  The chocolate was sweet and dark.


The cinnamon was subtle but it gave the muffin warmth.


These muffins were a appetizing and tender treat.  

No comments: