Saturday, September 24, 2016

Tomato Peach Salad with Basil


It seems like fall has started.  The weather is cooler and a little brisk.  At the grocery store today, I saw a few displays with fall baking goods.



I like fall baking.  I'm excited about delicious treats full of pumpkin and apple.  I recently baked some pumpkin muffins, and I anticipate making pumpkin cookies.

Despite my enthusiasm for fall cooking, I recently made a salad with peaches and tomatoes.  This dish is more appropriate for summer, but it still work.  There are still peaches at the local farmers markets.


This dish reminds me of a salad my father makes in the summer.  He always grows prolific tomato plants.  He coarsely chopped a bowl of tomatoes and dresses them with olive oil, salt, and basil.  It is simple but delicious.


This salad also has peaches.  It may sound like a strange combination, but it really works.  Tomatoes and peaches have subtle flavors, and tomatoes are pretty sweet.


This salad recipe came from the Food Network.  I added more tomatoes and peaches than the recipe suggests.  I used less basil because I didn't have enough.  


I used a different technique to make the salad too.  The recipe mades a puree with the basil and extra-virgin olive oil.  

The ingredients for this salad are 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, koshers salt, ground black pepper, 6 firm yellow peaches, 8 tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon lime juice.


I chopped the peaches and tomatoes into wedges.




I thinly cut the basil.  This is called a chiffonade.  I added this to the bowl with the peaches and tomatoes.


I added the olive oil, salt, pepper, and lime juice to the bowl.



I stirred the salad until all the ingredients were evenly combined.


It it a quick and easy salad to make.  The ingredients were light, fresh, and flavorful.


It was a little tart,  It was sweet and fragrant.


It tasted healthy and refreshing.


It was a delicious salad.  It would be perfect for a picnic or barbecue.  


No comments: