Friday, October 2, 2015

Chocolate Blueberry Pancakes


I just got back from Iceland last night.  I saw beautiful things, enjoyed good company, and ate delicious food.  Overall, it was a marvelous trip.


I was amazed by the variety in the landscape.  There were craters, lava fields, black beaches, lush, green scenery, rivers, waterfalls, and craters.

The food was delicious too.  I ate lamb several times.  I also ate an opened face smoked salmon sandwich with thinly sliced boiled egg.  It was fabulous.  I'm going to try and recreate it at home.  I was surprised how thick the layer of salmon was, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the thick layer of smoked salmon.


There was a multitude of chocolate covered licorice candies.  I even ate a massive marshmallow coated in chocolate and chunks of black licorice.  I enjoy black licorice and am addicted to chocolate so I had no problem downing a few chocolate and licorice candy bars.  I came home with probably a pound of the stuff too.  It's going to be a healthy month...


These pancakes have nothing to do with Iceland, though I will be posting Icelandic recipes soon, but they were delicious nonetheless.  I have used this chocolate pancake recipe many times, and it always turns out well.  It is my favorite chocolate pancake recipe, and I have tried a few.


The ingredients are 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup frozen blueberries.


In a small bowl, I combined the melted butter, room temperature milk, and egg.  I whisked well.




In another bowl, I added the flour, cocoa powder sugar, baking soda, and salt.




I  whisked the dry ingredients together.  I then poured in the liquid ingredients.


I whisked the batter together before adding the blueberries.  There were still lumps in the batter.  I then incorporated the blueberries into the batter.


I greased a hot skillet and then added about a third of a cup of batter.  I cooked the pancakes until little bubbles formed in the center.  I then flipped the pancakes and cooked the other side for a few minutes.


The batter makes a very rich and chocolatey pancake.  It is sweet but not too sweet for a breakfast item.


The pancakes were tender and pillowy.  It is probably my favorite pancake recipe.


The blueberries softened in the hot skillet and became jammy and sweet.  


 The flavor of the blueberries were a little subtle compared to the dark chocolate flavor.  I would have prepared a stronger blueberry taste, but I'm not sure how to achieve that.  These were a toothsome and a little decadent breakfast treat.

No comments: