Sunday, September 27, 2015

Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Feta and Pecans


I am posting this recipe from Iceland.  I wrote the post before leaving, so I'm not sure if I'm having wonderful adventures or not.


I made this recipe up.  Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable, and there are so many beautiful and creamy butternut squash around this time of year.  I decided to merge these two scrumptious ingredients together, along with pecans and feta, to make a delightful fall salad.


Butternut squash is known as butternut pumpkin in Australia and New Zealand.  The most popular variety was developed in Waltham, Massachusetts at the Waltham Experiment Station.  I wish I had more information about the Waltham Experiment Station.



Butter squash is native to Guatemala and Mexico.  It's rich in fiber and contains magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C.


In America, Florida is the largest produced of squash.  California is the second largest producer.   In Argentina, the seeds are used to feed livestock.  


The ingredients are 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, 2 pounds butternut squash, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup dried apricots, 1/2 cup pecans, 6 ounces feta, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons honey, and 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.



I chopped the butternut squash in half inch squares.  I layered the squash and Brussels sprouts on two sheet trays.  I sprinkled them with the extra virgin olive oil and salt.  I baked the vegetables for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.  To be complicated, I increased the temperature to 400 degrees and baked the vegetables for another ten minutes.


I added the vegetables to a big bowl.  I added diced, dried apricots, pecans, and crumbled feta cheese.



For the dressing, I added the dijon mustard, honey, and balsamic vinegar to a bowl.  I whisked the dressing together.



I poured the dressing over the salad and stirred gingerly but thoroughly.  I didn't want to mash the butternut squash.



This was an exquisite salad.  The squash was smooth, tender, and mellow.  The sprouts were caramelized and savory.


 The feta was salty and creamy.  The pecans were crunchy.  The dressing was acidic, tart, and sweet.


There were delectable textures and flavors that contrasted and paired well with each other.


 This was a phenomenal fall salad.  It was hearty, pleasurable, and flavorful.  It was one of the more delicious salads I have posted on my blog.

No comments: