Friday, May 29, 2015

Thai Pumpkin Curry


I went to the beach over Memorial Day.  It wasn't really in keeping with holiday, but it was a great way to start the summer.


The water was still cold.  I only went in up to my knees.  

I would have been able to stand the cold water if the wind wasn't brisk as well.  



When I was growing up, my extended family would celebrate Memorial Day by having a barbecue at my grandparents' home.  After a bout of gluttony, we would walk to the cemetery.


We would take flowers from my grandmother's garden and place them on the graves of our deceased family.


This recipe came from about.com.  I adjusted the quantities a little, but pretty much made it as directed.


The ingredients are 1/2 butternut squash, 1 small sweet potato, 2 medium carrots, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 can chick peas, 2 tablespoons grated orange zest, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper, 1 can coconut milk, 1 teaspoon tamarind paste, 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, juice of 1 lime, juice of 1 orange, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 small onion, and fresh basil.


To make the curry sauce, I put the garlic cloves, crushed red pepper, tamarind paste, and brown sugar into a bowl.



I added the soy sauce, lime juice, coconut milk, and onion to the same bowl.



I added turmeric, coriander, cumin, apple cider vinegar, and orange juice.  I stirred the curry sauce ingredients together.




I chopped the pumpkin, yam, and carrots.  I added the sauce and vegetables into a pan.  I simmered the curry for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.


After ten minutes, I added the bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chick peas, and orange rind.  I simmered the curry for another 7 minutes. 



I served the curry with rice and garnished with finely cut fresh basil.


This curry was exquisite and delectables.  It was hearty despite being vegetarian.


The tamarind, coconut milk, and brown sugar gave the curry a sweet, tropical flavor.


The sauce was creamy and aromatic.  The basil was fresh and brightened up the dish.


The vegetables were tender but not mushy.  This was luscious.  It was one of the best recipes I have made in awhile.  


It was a scrumptious and mouthwatering combination.

No comments: