Thursday, September 4, 2014

Southern Peach Cobbler


This is probably the last peach recipe I will make this year.  I made this peach cobbler at my parents' home.  During the summer they go to Grand Junction, Colorado and buy boxes of peaches.  When I went home for a visit, they had half a box of very ripe peaches.


I was going to make a pie, but I was too lazy.  This cobbler is evidence that good results can sometimes come from being lazy.  





Cobblers are an American dessert.  According to Wikipedia, they were first made in the British American colonies.  The English settlers wanted to make suet puddings, whatever that is, but were unable to find all the necessary ingredients.  


Cobblers are made from fruit and then covered with a biscuit, pie crust, or batter.  The origin of the word cobbler is uncertain, but it could have come from a now unused word cobeler, which means wooden bowl.


Brown betties, buckles, and dumps are considered cobblers.  Other names, none of which I have heard, are slump, grump, and sonker.  Wikipedia states that crisps or crumbles are not cobblers because their toppings  have oatmeal.  I'm sure you find all of this very fascinating.  


The recipe came from allrecipes.  The ingredients are 8 fresh peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch.  The ingredients for the topping are 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 6 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 cup water.  I combined 3 tablespoons white sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to sprinkle on top of the batter.


I pealed and sliced the peaches.  I added the sugars.



I added 1/4 a teaspoon of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch.


I stirred the fruit until everything was combined and then poured the fruit into a 2 quart baking dish.  I baked the peaches for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.


While the peaches baked, I prepared the batter.  I added the flour, 1/4 cup of white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.



I stirred the flour mixture together.  I cubed the cold butter and added it into the bowl with the flour.


I used a pastry cutter to mix the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs were formed.


I added the water.  The recipe said to use boiling water, but I used room temperature water.  I used my hands to mix in the water.


I also prepared the cinnamon sugar mixture that is sprinkled on top of the batter while the peaches were baking.


I removed the pan from the oven after ten minutes and added clumps of the batter on top of the peaches.     It was a messy process because I used my hands.



I am sure you don't need five pictures of me placing batter on top of partially baked peaches, but I'm thorough.  


I sprinkled all the cinnamon sugar on the top of the crumble.


I placed the crumble back into the oven and baked it for another 30 minutes at 425 degrees.  The crust become beautifully golden.


It smelled amazing, but I resisted the urge to inhale it straight from the oven.  The crumble was 425 degrees and would have given new meaning to a burnt tong. 


I thought it was going to be too juicy, but the excess juice disappears as it cools.


We ate it unadorned, but whipped cream or ice cream wouldn't be amiss.  


This is a phenomenal recipe.  It's easy to make, and the results are scrumptious.  My father and I both ended up eating two serving one right after another. 


It was a perfect way to celebrate (or mourn) the end of summer.  It is a mouthwatering and delectable treat.


No comments: