Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Broccoli, Tomato, Ham, and Cheese Salad


There are several versions of a broccoli salad floating around.  My favorite has bacon and tortellini pasta.  If this salad didn't have a mountain of cheese in it, it would have been the healthier version of the bacon, tortellini, and broccoli salad.


I have had a wonderful vacation this week in Utah.  Tragically, today is the last day.  I have a red eye flight tonight, and I work tomorrow morning.  I'm going to need a lot of Diet Dr. Pepper tomorrow.  


I saw many family members, hiked one of my favorite hikes in Utah, had a picnic, and went to the Moab Music Festival, among other things.  


The hike is called Little Wild Horse.  Many sections of the hike are in narrow slot canyons.  You can touch both sides of the canyon walls at the same time.  The scenery is absolutely breathtaking.  



The ingredients are 12 ounces of broccoli, 1 pint grape tomatoes, 8 ounces ham, 1/2 onion, 8 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 cup pecans, 1 cup raisins, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 6 ounces greek yogurt, and 2 tablespoons mustard.  For the amount of vegetables, this recipe had more than enough cheese, raisins and pecans.  You could adjust the quantities for your preferences.


I cleaned and added the broccoli, tomatoes, and chopped onion to a bowl.



I added the cubed cheese.


I added the pecans, raisins, and ham.



For the dressing, I added the greek yogurt, vinegar, and mustard into a smaller bowl.


I added salt and pepper and whisked the dressing together well.


I poured the dressing over the salad and stirred until everything was evenly dispersed.  


 The raisins, pecans, ham, and cheese were my favorite parts of this salad.  Unfortunately, they are the least healthy parts.


The dressing was creamy and pleasantly sour.  I like a strong vinegar taste in my dressings.  Other people might prefer less vinegar.


There are many different flavors and textures going on in this salad.  They combine well, and the overall flavor is delicious.  It makes a great pack lunch.

No comments: