Monday, June 9, 2014

Spicy Cauliflower Stir-Fry


I'm not going to lie, this is not the most appetizing vegetable side dish I have ever made.  The color looks a little weird.  It's not the photo either; the color in the picture accurately shows the actual color.



I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, and her Cauliflower looks much more appealing.  I cooked mine longer than she recommended.  Perhaps this caused the peculiar, slightly off-putting color.


Strange appearance aside, this is a delightful recipe.  It's a little acidic, a little spicy, and very flavorful.  Sometimes looks can be deceiving.


As I mentioned, the recipe came from the Pioneer Woman.  The ingredients are one head of cauliflower, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 lime, 4 green onions, and 1 tablespoon Sriracha.  I think a have spelled Sriracha about 50 different ways on my blog.  I'm clearly not a great speller.


I began by sautéing the cauliflower florets and garlic in the hot oil.  I think my oil wasn't hot enough because it took more than the recommended 3 minutes, and it never had the delightful, brown bits hers had.




After 3 minutes (or in my case 5 to 6), I added the soy sauce, lemon juice, and chopped green onions.  I lowered the heat a bit when I added all these ingredients.  I doubled the about of green onions because I enjoy onions.  I also don't like wasting stuff.



I let this cook for a minute.


After a minute, I added the chile sauce.  She directs you to cook it until the sauce has been incorporated.  I ended up cooking it for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.  


I cooked it until there wasn't any liquid in the bottom of the pan.


It's not beautiful, but it is still delicious.  It has a good, strong flavor.  She suggests you reserve some of the green onion for garnish.  


 It's a little spicy but definitely not overwhelming.


 If you have a head of cauliflower hanging around, you won't be disappointed in this scrumptious dish!


No comments: