Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Avocado Toast


Today during lunch I heard about Elon Musk for the first time.  I looked him up on google after my lunch break, and I'm wondering how I never heard about him before.  Have I been living under a rock?


I feel like I learn more during my lunch break talking to people than I do any other time at work.  I'm not sure how useful the information I learn at lunch is, but it's always interesting.


My parents were into avocado toast for a while several years ago.  It's simple but tasty.  Avocados are so creamy and delicious.  I could probably eat many questionable things if they are smothered with a good, rip avocado.


This recipe, if you can call it a recipe, came from Everyday Food.  It's shameful the amount of cooking clips I watch on YouTube any given week.  





The ingredients for a slice of toast are 1 slice crusty bread, 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/2 an avocado, salt, and red pepper flakes.  My parents didn't use coconut oil or red pepper flakes when they make avocado toast, but they should.


I toasted the bread and then spread the coconut oil on top.  I choose a nice fresh loaf with crusty exterior.  A sourdough would be good.



I placed the sliced avocados on top.  Avocados are native to central America.  According to Wikipedia they are also called alligator pears.  That's news to me.  The oldest evidence of avocado is from 10,000 BC in Puebla, Mexico. Wikipedia does not share the details of this "evidence." The Spanish adopted the Nahuatl word for avocado, āhuacatl.  In many counties avocados are used to make milkshakes: ingenious!


I sprinkled the toast with salt and red pepper flakes and then consumed.


It's simple but toothsome.  After making biryani last week, I needed a break.


The avocado is creamy.  It balances out the slight heat from the red pepper flakes.  


I think that this would make a great lunch, dinner, or breakfast.


If you make it ahead of time, you should sprinkle the avocados with lime juice before putting them on the toast.



2 comments:

Joanne said...

Ummm Elon WHO?! I'm very confused lol.

Yay for avocado toast! Simple and satisfying.

laura said...

Joanne, those are literally my thoughts from a few days ago. Thanks!