Sunday, January 13, 2019

Caramel Brownies


It has been snowing quite heavily for about 24 hours where I live.  I have helped shovel the drive, but have been inside for most of the day.  


Days like today are the perfect type of day to bake and eat decadent baked goods like these brownies.  It is a perfect day to snuggle up with a good book and eat a brownie. 

I actually made these a few weeks ago to bring to a potluck holiday party.  Most people ended up brining desserts, so it kind of turned into a dessert potluck.  I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so that worked out perfectly for me.



I found this brownie recipe on allrecipes.com.  I had ran out of honey so I replaced the honey in the frosting with corn syrup.  I also added half of a cup of caramel bits. 


The ingredients for the brownies are 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 cup caramel bits.  


The ingredients for the frosting are 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon corn syrup, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and a little over a cup of confectioners sugar.



I melted the butter in a sauce pan.  I then mixed in the sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.



I mixed in the baking soda, eggs, and flour.



I poured the batter into a greased and floured 8 inch share pan.  I then sprinkled the caramel bits evenly over the batter.


I baked the brownies for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


To make the frosting, I added the softened butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, corn starch, and powdered sugar into a bowl.  I mixed all the ingredients together thoroughly.  



I spread the frosting evenly over the brownies.


I cut them into little squares, and then they were ready to be consumed.


The brownies were fudgy, chewy, and dense.


 The chocolate flavor the deep, intense, and rich.  The frosting also had a strong chocolate flavor.


They caramel was chewy, sweet, and smooth.  The caramel made the brownies even more decadent and rich.


This was a good brownie recipe.  I was pleased with the texture and flavor.  I also like how it is made the pantry staples.  I usually have the ingredients on hand.  It was great recipe that I will use again. 


No comments: