Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Whole Wheat Banana and Chocolate Pancakes with Peanut Butter Chips


It has rained so much in the area where I live in the last few days.  It rained all day Saturday and has been raining off an on since then.  The forecast predicts rain tomorrow as well.



I like rain.  It is pretty and life-giving.  I do not like riding my bike in the rain though.  I have taken a brief hiatus from biking to work this week.



Today is Pioneer Day.  It is a state holiday in Utah.  Many people have the day off.  There are parades and fireworks as well.


I made a cake and brought it to work in celebration.  I did the same thing last year.  I think I am going to make it an annual tradition.  There is always a good reason to make a cake!


I found this whole-wheat banana pancake recipe on a blog called 100 Days of Real Food.   I added cocoa powder, peanut butter chips, and a little extra milk.  


The ingredients are 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2/3 cup cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 eggs, 2 cups milk, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 mashed bananas, and 1 cup peanut butter chips.

I added the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder to a big bowl.  I whisked together the dry ingredients.  





I made a well in the dry ingredients and added the milk, eggs, honey, melted butter, and mashed bananas.  I whisked the pancake batter together.




I stirred in the peanut butter chips.


For each pancake, I added a third of a cup of batter to a greased skillet over medium high heat.  I flipped the pancake once bubbles started to form in the center of the pancake.  I flipped the pancake and cooked the revers side for a few minutes.  Both sides were slightly browned.


These were tasty pancakes.  They were fluffy and tender.


It has a nice sedate chocolate flavor and a hint of banana.  The banana also gave the pancakes moisture.


 The peanut butter chips became gooey and creamy.  They added bursts of sweetness to the pancakes.


I was pleased with the overall results.  I think I would like to make these again without the cocoa powder to see how the original recipe tastes.


No comments: