Sunday, April 8, 2018

Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips


This isn't the type of recipe that one usually makes in the start of spring.  Pumpkin recipes are usually made in fall.


I actually made this recipe in fall, but then I forgot my camera at home over the Christmas holidays.  I just got it back a couple of weeks ago when I saw my parents in Mexico.


Better late than never, right?  I really enjoy pumpkin baked goods.  My favorite cookies are pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  I also enjoy pumpkin pancakes, and pumpkin bread, among other things.


I do not love pumpkin pie though.  There are many other pies I would choose over pumpkin pie.  I rarely if ever even have a slice at Thanksgiving.  


I found this pumpkin bread recipe on allrecipes.com.  I added pumpkin pie spice, chocolate chips, and sprinkled the tops with demerera sugar.


The ingredients are 1 16 ounce can pumpkin puree, 4 eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, 2/3 cup water, 3 cups white sugar, 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 2 cups chocolate chips, and demerera sugar.


I added the pumpkin puree, eggs, olive oil, water, and sugar.  I mixed this mixture together well with a whisk.





I then added the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and pumpkin pie spice into the bowl.





I mixed the batter together thoroughly and then mixed in the chocolate chips.


The recipe makes two nine by five inch loafs.  I used smaller loafs and just baked the bread for less time.  I greased the loaf pans and then added the batter into the pans.  I sprinkled the tops liberally with the demerera sugar.


I baked the bread at 350 degrees.  The larger loaves take 50 minutes.  I baked the small loaves for about 35 or 40 minutes.  I let the loafs cool a little before cutting a slice.


This bread was scrumptious.  It was sweet, soft and tender.


It has a nice, homey pumpkin flavor.  It had warm, festive spices.


 The sugar on top was sweet, crunchy, and crackled.  The chocolate chips were sweat, creamy, and smooth.


This was a great recipe.  I wouldn't make any changes.  You could probably make pumpkin bread with less sugar, but it was good.  It's really just pumpkin cake.  I would make this recipe again.


No comments: