Friday, October 20, 2017

Orange Jello Salad


I am originally from Utah.  I have heard that Utahans eat more than their share of Jello and Jello salads.  I don't believe I ate much Jello growing up, and I don't eat it often now.


I do remember my mom making a Jello salad like this a few times of picnics, but it wasn't a regular occurrence.  Before making this salad, I don't believe I had eaten a Jello salad or Jello in over a decade.  

I attended a brunch with other people with Utah ties, and I made this salad as a nod to the state.  It is good, simple, and for some it is probably nostalgic.



I found this orange Jello salad recipe on allrecipes.com, but my mother's had the same ingredients and flavor.  It probably came off of a Jello package or something.  I didn't change the ingredients or recipe at all.



The ingredients are 1 11-ounce can drained mandarin oranges, 1 8-ounce can drained crushed pineapple, 1 6-ounce box orange Jello, 16 ounces cottage cheese, and 8 ounces thawed whipped topping.


I mixed the Jello, crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges together.  I let these ingredients chill for a bit.  I'm not sure why, but this is what the recipe directed.


I added the cottage cheese and whipped topping.


I mixed the ingredients together.  I let this chill in the fridge for a few hours to set a little before serving.


This is a simple recipe, but it is delicious.  It had a bright, citrus flavor.


The texture was creamy, smooth, and luscious. 


It was sweet and scruptious.


These were bits of juicy fruit evenly dispersed through the salad.  I could also discern  
 the cottage cheese.


The salad was light, simple, and tasty.  I would make it again.

No comments: