Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Chocolate Pancakes with Granola and Chocolate Chips


Today was one of those work days that goes by painfully slow.  I think it was because the weather was beautiful.  Every time I looked out the window, I could see the sunshine.


I ended up eating my small stash of chocolate to help pass the day.  I feel pretty proud of myself because I didn't replenish it.

I passed by a CVS at lunchtime, and all their Easter candy was 75% off.  I stood there looking at the bright bags of candy for a few minutes, but I eventually just walked away.  I'm a model of self restraint.


Off course, my coworkers bring so much candy and baked goods into work that I could have a sugary treat pretty much everyday.



I don't help the office' eating habits either because I bring in my fair share of sugary concoctions.  


This isn't my regular chocolate pancake recipe.  It's a recipe from a blogger whose blog is entitled Bakerella.  I prefer my old standby recipe because it has a richer chocolate flavor, but Bakerella's pancakes are good too.


The ingredients are 1/2 cup granola, 1 1/3 (or more) cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips.  I used oil instead of melted butter.  I also added about 1/3 cup more flour that directed to get a thicker batter.


I added the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a bowl.  I whisked the dry ingredients together.



I added the oil, vanilla, milk, and egg to the dry ingredients.  



I added the mini chocolate chips and granola after the batter and been fully combined.  I ended up adding a little more flour at this point to get a thicker batter.


I heated and greased a skillet.  I portioned out a fourth of a cup of batter for each pancake.


Once bubbles had formed in the center and the edges looked a little dry, I flipped the pancakes and cooked the other side for a couple of minutes.


I have added many things to pancakes, including pretzels and potato chips.  These recipes and this one prove that crunchy carbohydrates to not maintain their crispness in pancakes.  


 I could taste and feel the granola pieces, but they had softened.  There was some texture, but I would have preferred crispier bits of oats.


Even though this isn't my favorite chocolate pancake recipe, it is still very good.


The pancakes had a perfect texture: fluffy and airy.   They were sweet, but not too sweet for breakfast.


 These were delicious pancakes, and I would make them again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Deliciousness, love the recipe!

laura said...

Thanks Katalina, it was delicious!

Jocelyn said...

You had me at chocolate pancake full of chocolate chip pancakes. Sounds like my kind of breakfast for sure!

laura said...

Jocelyn, me too!