Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Beef Bulgogi


Tomorrow is my last day at my job.  I have worked at my job for almost five years.  It is the first job I had out of graduate school.  


I start a new job on Monday.  It is still in the same town, but it will be a definate change.  I'm excited but also pensive and grateful for the experiences and growth I have had at my job.

I have had many wonderful and welcoming coworkers.  I think I will miss my coworkers more than any aspect of my job.  Luckily, I'll still be in the same town.  It's not like I'm moving across the country.


This summer I went on a vacation to Vietnam.  On my flight back, I had an eight hour layover in Korea.  I was able to visit a few tourist sites and have lunch.  I didn't have Bulgogi, but it put me in a Korea state of mind.



I don't eat enough Korean food.  All the Korean food I have tried has been delicious.  I often order the same dishes when I go to Korean restaurants.  I need to be braver and try new things,


Like most of my recipes, I found this bulgogi recipe on allrecipes.com.  I only made one adjustment.  I used brown sugar instead of white sugar.



The ingredients are 1 pound flank steak, 5 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 cup sliced green onions, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.


I made the sauce and let the beef marinade overnight before cooking the meat.  For the sauce, I combined the brown sugar, soy sauce, minced garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, pepper, and green onions.  I stirred the sauce together.





I thinly sliced the flank steak.  I poured the marinate over the meat and let it soak in the flavors overnight in the fridge.



The next day, I seared the meet in a hot skillet.  I cooked the meet for around two minutes on each side.  I didn't add any oil to the skillet.  The recipe suggests cooking the meat on a grill.


 I ate this meat over rice.


This dish was delightful.


 The meat was flavorful and succulent.


 The flavor was savory and salty.


The texture was moist and caramelized. 


This was one of the most scrumptious things I have made in a while.


It was hearty, tempting, and inviting.


No comments: