Saturday, June 25, 2016

Chocolate Coffee Cake


I got my haircut today.  I usually go to really cheap places like Hair Cuttery.  I'm not picky, and I don't like spending loads of money every few months to get my haircut.


I have needed my hair cut for a while, but I have been busy.  I'm leaving for a work trip tomorrow, and I wanted to get a haircut before leaving.  I was lazy today and decided to just go to a nearby salon.  With tip, I ended up spending $80.  It is a nice cut, but it's not that nice.

It has been the most expensive haircut I have ever gotten.  Given how much I spent, I'll have to run my hand through my hair many times and really enjoy the cut.  



This coffee cake was made with a cake mix.  I have used this recipe before for other cakes.  It makes a really moist, rich, and delicious cake.  I have used this base recipe to make a chocolate bundt with peanut butter cream cheese filling and peanut butter glaze and a chocolate bundt with cream cheese filling and berry glaze.




I found the chocolate cake recipe on allrecipes.com, but I first heard about the recipe from my mother.  My sister in-law made this chocolate cake.  My mom enjoyed it so much that she told me about it later.  It is worth the hype!


I made the cake batter as directed.  I baked it in a nine by thirteen inch cake pan instead of a bundt pan.  I also added a crumb topping.


The ingredients for the cake were 1 18.25 ounce package devil's food cake mix, 1 5.9 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup vegetable oil, 4 eggs, 1/2 half cup warm water, and 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.


The ingredients for the crumb topping were 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 3 tablespoon butter.


I added the cake mix and pudding mix into a large bowl.




I added oil, sour cream, eggs, and hot water.



I stirred the batter together and then added the chocolate chips.  I mixed in the chocolate chips.


I poured the batter into a greased nine by thirteen inch baking dish.


For the crumb topping, I added the flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon into a bowl.  I mixed the crumb topping ingredients together.



 I sprinkled the crumb topping evenly on top of the cake.



I baked the cake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.


I let it cool completely.


This was a decadent, rich, and luscious cake.  


The chocolate flavor was rich and intense.


The texture was moist and tender.



The crumb topping was buttery, sweet, golden, and crisp.


It was a delicious coffee cake.   It was tender and appetizing.  I took it to work, and people raved about it.



 It isn't the kind of thing you should eat every day, but it was well worth the caloric splurge.


No comments: