Thursday, June 23, 2016

Cherry Tomato Salad With Buttermilk-Basil Dressing


I survived my calculus class.  When all was said and done, it wasn't so bad.  I am excited that I no longer have to spend my evenings doing homework.  



If I take another calculus class, I will not take it in an abbreviated six week schedule.  I would prefer a little bit more time to let principles set in.

I'm heading to San Diego this weekend for a work conference.  I'm excited to get out of town, and I enjoy San Diego.  The weather is wonderful, and the conference is going to fun.  I always enjoy a change of scenes too.


One evening I'll be going to a Padres game with a coworker.  It will be my first baseball game of the season.  The conference organizers always have a big party one evening.  This year it is going to be at Balboa park.  There are musicians, free museum admissions, and loads of food.  It's a load of fun.


I'm trying to eat a little lighter now that it's summer.   I'd like to loose a little weight, and I don't like heavy foods in the summer anyway.  I found this tomato salad recipe on the Food Network website.


The ingredients are 6 cups halved red and yellow cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, 2/3 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon dried basil, 1 finely chopped shallot, and 2 minced garlic cloves.  I used dried basil instead of fresh basil.  The recipe suggests using 3 tablespoons of fresh basil.


For the dressing, I added the shallots, dried basil, garlic, buttermilk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.  I whisked these ingredients well.




I poured the dressing over the halved tomatoes and stirred well.


I added more salt and pepper to taste.


This was a good salad.  It was light and fresh.


The flavors were a little acidic, creamy, and herby.


The shallots and garlic were pungent.  


It was delicious.  It was healthy, quick, and easy.


I it over a few days, and the flavors meld and merry together more each day.




2 comments:

Amanda said...

This looks so good! I really want to make this for the 4th of July. That buttermilk-basil dressing sounds fantastic!

laura said...

Thanks Amanda! I think it would make a great 4th of July side!