Monday, June 6, 2016

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting


I made these cupcakes a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday.  She requested chocolate cake.  Chocolate is my favorite too, so I was happy to oblige.  


Cupcakes are perfect for parties.  You don't need plates or utensils.  You don't even need a knife.  Add a few sprinkles, and they look festive.  There is no need to even a cake layer or crumb coat.  

  
It seems like cupcakes' popularity is waining.  I'm okay with a few cupcake bakeries who sell cupcakes for $6 closing.  Despite their decline, there will always be a place for delicious cupcakes.


Cakes cooked in a small cup were first mentioned in 1796 in a cookbook entitled American Cookery.  This recipe didn't use the term cupcakes.  The word was first used in 1828 in another cookbook call Receipts.    


England has a cake similar to a cupcake called a fairy cake.  They are usually smaller than a cupcake and not topped with fancy frosting.  Originally, cupcakes were baked in pottery cups.  Now they are usually cooked in muffins tins.


For the frosting, I used a creamy chocolate frosting recipe.  For the cake, I used a one bowl chocolate cake.  Both of these recipes came from allrecipes.com.  I made these recipes as directed.


The ingredients for the cake are 2 cups white sugar, 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup boiling water.


The ingredients for the frosting are 2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, 6 tablespoon unseated cocoa powder, 6 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.


For the cake, I added the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.



I whisked all the dry ingredients together.


I added the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.




I whisked the batter together and then added the hot water.


I whisked in the hot water.  This batter was very wet.


I scope the batter into a muffin tin lined with paper liners.  I filled the liners about two thirds full.  I baked the cupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the cupcakes cool completely.  


I made the frosting while the cupcakes cooled.  For the frosting, I creamed the softened butter for a few seconds.


I added the cocoa powder to the creamed butter, and turned the mixture on again for a few minutes.


I added about four tablespoons of milk.  I mixed in the milk thoroughly.  I waited to see if I needed the additional tablespoon of milk after I added the powdered sugar.


I gradually beat in the powdered sugar.


After all the powdered sugar was added, I added a little more milk.  I also added the vanilla extract.  I mixed the frosting after each addition.


I spread a layer of chocolate frosting on each cooled cupcake.



I added brightly colored sprinkles immediately on top of the fresh chocolate frosting.  The sprinkles aren't necessary, but they are festive and fun.


These cupcakes were excellent.  The cake was rich, decadent, and deep.


The texture of the cake was tender and moist.


The frosting was luscious, creamy, and smooth.


The chocolate flavor of the cake and frosting was intense and profound.


I was a little worried about the batter because it was so wet, but it baked up perfectly.  It was fluffy, light, and moist.


Overall, these cupcakes were divine.  They were straightforward chocolate cake and chocolate frosting recipes, but sometimes simple things are the best.


I give both of these recipes two enthusiastic thumbs up!

4 comments:

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

Can't go wrong with chocolate cupcakes! They look like a perfect way to celebrate a birthday!

laura said...

I agree Jessica!

Unknown said...

Chocolate cupcakes are one of our favorites too! I'm sure these were an absolute hit at the party! Love the festive sprinkles! :)

laura said...

Thanks Kelly! They are one of my favorites too!