Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mint Chocolate Pancakes


I have become addicted to Trivia Crack.  I am not a big gamer, but for the past few weeks, I have spent at least 20 minutes a day answering trivia questions on this app.  


When I woke up this morning, I checked Trivia Crack to see if I had any pending games.  It's fun, but a complete waste of time.


I might also have an addiction to pancakes.  I make them all the time.  They are just so easy.  I even enjoy making them for dinner.




This recipe came from food.com.  I have used the recipe before, and it always turns out well.  It's chocolaty and fluffy.  I added mint extract and Andes mints to the batter.  I also ended up adding a little extra flour.


The ingredients are 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon mint extract, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 and 1/8 cups flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 5 Andes mints.  If you make this, you should use 1 teaspoon of mint extract and add more Andes mints.


In a bowl, I combined the milk, melted butter, mint extract, and egg.  I whisked these ingredients well.


In another bowl, I added the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.



I whisked the dry ingredients together.


I chopped up the Andes mints.  I only used five, but that wasn't enough.  


I poured the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and whisked until there were no lumps.


I stirred in the Andes mints.


I poured some of the batter into a hot and greased skillet.


I flipped the pancake once bubbles started forming near the center of the pancake.  I cooked the other side for a few more minutes.

I ate the pancakes with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.


This is a great and highly rating chocolate pancake recipe.  I have used it numerous times.  The pancakes are airy and soft.  The chocolate flavor is pronounced.  It has great texture and flavor.


I wasn't satisfied with the mint flavor.  It was too subtle.   I was cautious because I didn't want the pancakes to taste like toothpaste.  The Andes mints disappear in the pancake, but I noticed little bits of mint flavor.  If you want discernible bits of chocolate, add chocolate chips.


I will attempt mint pancakes again because this wasn't a complete success.  It was good, but the pancakes were too similar to a regular chocolate pancake.





No comments: